Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Potencial Transformer issue 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

migueldiazch

Petroleum
Mar 18, 2009
VE
Hello,

I am trying to evaluate the factibility for replacing one Potencial Transformer, reviewing the plate data we found that the only difference between the one that we want to replace and the one that we have available are the Accuracy Burden and the Thermal Rating.
Accuracy Burden installed: 0,3ZZ
Accuracy Burden to install: 0,3WXYZ.ZZ.
Thermal Rating installed: 2500 VA.
Thermal Rating to install: 1500 VA.

Could you please help me to identified the possible implications of the difference mentioned before. Knowing that there are three fases and we just want to replace the transformer of the fase A?.

Best regards.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Since the replacement unit has equivalent accuracy at equivalent burden (if I am interpreting your post correctly), it should not be a problem unless the actual VA load exceeds the 1500 VA limit. This is unlikely unless you are using the VT to power something and not just providing sensing voltage to relays and meters.

Ideally, all three would be matched, but that is sometimes not practical.

David Castor

As dpc above mentioned.

You need to know your actual burden connected to the PT.
If it is just used for relaying your burden would not be very high.

You can calculate your burden by multiplying your PT secondary voltage and the current provided by your PT.
Burden = Volt x Amps [VA]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back