Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

POTENTIAL ER... ADD "STICKY POINTS" TO LIMIT MATES

Status
Not open for further replies.

TateJ

Mechanical
Mar 15, 2002
US
Let me run this by the real experts before I submit an ER.

Would you like to have "sticky points" added to limit mates?
For example - I have a rotating dump bed for one of my trucks. Id like to see the bed rotate +/- 90 degrees from center while "sticking" at 10 degree increments. At the same time I want it to dump from 0 degrees to 80 degrees & "stick" at 10 degree increments also. Sure - I can almost do this with multiple configurations. But all the possible combinations of configs makes this un-realistic.

Is there an existing way to do something like this that I've overlooked?

Is this worthy of an ER?

Windows XP / Wireless Intellimouse Explorer
SolidWorks 2007 SP1.0 / SpaceBall 5000
Lava Lamp
www.Tate3d.com

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It would almost be like a "snap to" thing. I could see it being another option in there with the limit mate options that said "snap to increment". I think it is a good idea, and can think of times I would use this when making fishing reels that I spin.

Are you looking at this for animation purposes?

Or are you wanting the part(s) to stick/snap/hang slightly when being dragged?

Either way it sounds like it could be useful in some situations.

[cheers]

Not for animation... I ain't no I.D... I want it for "real" work... [poke]

Lava Lamp
www.Tate3d.com

HA! Real work. ..well from a non-real-working ID guy, I think that's an excellent idea. I would have loved that feature for the non-real work animations I did a month ago.

My work-around was to create a sketch that had the stop points visible. It's not accurate, since nothing will exactly snap into place, but it's good enough for the rough needs of camera placement in animations.

I think you should submit that as an ER. However, you'll probably want to think up a solution as to how the snap would work. Would you have to un-click and re-click to move past the snap? (Etc.)

Jeff Mowry
Reason trumps all. And awe trumps reason.

Theophilus said:
...you'll probably want to think up a solution as to how the snap would work. Would you have to un-click and re-click to move past the snap?

I envision a tendancy to stick on the snap point untill you pull it away... But un-click & re-click would probably be simpler code... also just as effective.

I'll submit the ER & reference this very thread while I'm at it...

Lava Lamp
www.Tate3d.com

I would quickly make 9 mates in 10 deree increments and one limit mate from zero to 90, and then I'd probably put them in a folder and supress all but the limit mate. Then with supress/unsupress mapped to the keyboard (ctrl+W and ctrl+E for me) I would expand this folder and just toggle through my mates.

I always thought real work was somethng that got your hands dirty. Come to think of it, my keyboard is kind of grimy right now.

RFUS

So you'd quickly make 81 mates... then unsupress 2 at a time to position this assembly with any possible combination of mates?

You're working WAY to hard pal... [shocked]

Lava Lamp
www.Tate3d.com

Wait... I got the math wrong... That's only 18 mates... but you'd have to make 81 individual configs to catch all the possible position compinations... That's what I wanted to say.

Lava Lamp
www.Tate3d.com

This can be done with 9 mates for your 0 to 80. This takes 19 mates from your -90 to 90. Thats 28 mates. Ordered correctly in folders this makes quite a bit of sense to me. I just replicated this and did it in 6 minutes. I didn't even break a seat. Toggling supress/unsupress with hotkeys seems as easy as picking a point to me. I didn't even break a sweat....pal

RFUS

Fair enough... I suppose that's a good-nuff work-around. Especially with your hot-keys working. But you forgot to toss in a SMILEY... But I'm sure you're not as irritated as your post seems... Pal... [peace]

I'll try that on my assembly... thanks for the suggestion.

Lava Lamp
www.Tate3d.com

Glad it may work TateJ. No, no irritation here. I think there is something that gets me with being called guy or pal that makes me use it right back. The worst is when someone younger than you says something like, whatup kid.

I don't really use emoticons either, but rock on doctor!
music-smiley-006.gif

RFUS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back