Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Potential Problem of Direct Fired Heater for Crude Oil 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

magicking

Mechanical
May 5, 2004
CA
Hi everyone,

My client insists to use direct fired heater to raise the temperature of crude oil but we insist to use indirect fired heater.

First Question: Is it acceptable to use direct fired heater for crude oil?

Second Question: If it is acceptable, what measures are necessary to allow them to operate safely and reliably?

Third Question: What is the potential problem to use direct fired heater for crude oil?

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

magicking:

Direct-fired heater-separators are used quite frequently to separate produced liquids as well as the gas phase in the Oil Patch. They are also used to pretreat prior to desalting the crude. The usual, horizontal U-tube is used as the firing chamber.

Answers to your questions:

1) It exists; it is being done; and it will probably continue.

2) Good engineering judgment, and proper safe design by experienced process engineers is what I would prescribe for a successful unit. The unit I designed in 2002 operated so good that the local govenment nationalized it.

3) Not applying my answer to point #2.

Hi doct9960,

Yes. No, I think the flame will heat the air and the air is impinging on the tubes containing crude oil.

Magicking

Thanks everyone,

What is the efficiency of direct fired heater. I know that for indirect fired heater, the efficiency is around 76-81%.

Magicking

You could design a heater with effiencies in the 80+%, you'll need extended surface convection sections and even add air pre-heat via recouperation.

The lower section will be radiant heat in most direct heaters. There are some manufacturers of heaters that have designed an all air heater whereby huge amounts of air are added after the burner with fans so that you get all force convection heat transfer. This was done to decrease the probability of hot spots on tubes that could fail and create a huge fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back