Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Pouring new concrete up to exising brick

Status
Not open for further replies.

JStructsteel

Structural
Aug 22, 2002
US
Whats a good detail for new concrete up to existing brick wall of a buiding? Im designing a ramp for access and the new slabs will butt into the existing wall. Will have a footing under it, so that also will be poured up against the existing.

My question is should I have expansion joint material between the old and new? My first thought is the wall can pour against it, and then the slab have some expansion joint material.

My second thought is to have the footing wall off the existing, and let slab cantilever over to the existing, and drainage material in between. Slab will still butt up against, with exp joint material.

Ideas?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A flexcel joint at the brick face?

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

almost everywhere... keep the concrete from the face of the masonry.

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

Fibreboard is not really all that compressible. If you were worried about subsequent expansion of the concrete I think I would use EPS insulation or something like that. If you pour in the summer though it probably doesn't matter.

Slightly related but it is important to ensure that your existing brick wall can handle the form pressure. Otherwise you'll need to specify a form system that is capable of carrying the load from one side only.

Thanks. I think my detail is going to be just the slab pouring against the existing, not a new wall next to it. Its only a wheel chair ramp, and would have the soil compacted up to slab grade, then pour over that. The existing is a raised floor, not basement, so soil up against existing not an issue (its a 2 or 3 wythe wall I believe).

Unless you are experiencing a significant movement issue, the fibreboard is just to provide a material break.

-----*****-----

-Dik

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back