Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Powder Coating on Various Materials, including Copper

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Elsea

Mechanical
Jun 21, 2018
US
I am looking for anyone that has powder coated Steel Parts that are brazed together with a Copper Brazing Alloy.

I have a project where the complete unit is a stack of materials, part of that stack is a series of steel plates that are brazed together. Once this process is complete, the finished part is covered with what is best described as a dirty Copper-looking layer.

I have two options in my paint system, an Iron-Phosphate Wash System and Zirconium Wash System. So far, my best results have been on the Iron-Phosphate side, but I still can't get passable adhesion. I have tried raising the Fluoride Level to get a more aggressive clean, I have raised my chemicals to high levels as well. I have tried various Sealers and Pre and Post treatments, but I still failed a Cross-Hatch Test.

Lastly, this "Dirty Copper-Looking Layer" can easily be ground off, but a pre-grinding process is not cost effective.

I am looking for any ideas...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back