Power Electronic Packaging

Status
Not open for further replies.

EPakg

Electrical
Aug 10, 2015
US
Hi,
I noticed that there almost nobody post anything related to power packaging, but this is a such important field nowadays, since the power density is increasing dramatically. Anybody know that if there are some other forums talking about power electronic packaging? Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Power electronic packaging is different from IC package, it needs to deal with high current, high voltage and high power loss. Current could be hounds of amps or even thousand amps, voltage is at least 650V, normally is 1200v, or even higher, 6KV,nowadays, 10 KV is also available. The popular board used is DBC, direct-bond-copper.

EPakg,

From a mechanical point of view, high voltage and high current systems require safety stickers on any access points, and maybe, secure fasteners. High power loss means we have to dump heat, something we normally do anyway, with electronics.

--
JHG

It is my experience that posters will post in relevant, or even non-relevant forums on the this site. The fact that there simply aren't that many postings asking for help with "power packaging" belies the supposed need for a separate forum, since anyone really needing help isn't going to care about the fact that an exact forum for their question doesn't exist.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

Of course I can. I can do anything. I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert!
There is a homework forum hosted by engineering.com:

Yeah, thermal management is quite important for power packaging.
If you happen to know any forum that discuss power packaging, please let me know, thanks guys.

EPakg,
I'm a mechanical engineer doing electronic packaging for high power electronics. I've done "low" power packaging too. The only difference I see from low power packaging is:
-Insuring that doors and panels have warning switches that sound an alarm (either audible or on a display) if a door or panel is opened if power is ON or even shut the power OFF
-EStop switches are provided in prominent locations to cut the power in case of emergency
-Thermal management often requires cold water cooling of inductors, transformers and IGBT assemblies using thermal grease, phase-change thermal pads, cold plates and air-to-liquid heat exchangers; this means a thermal system simulation must be performed using tools such as AFT Fathom 8
-Electrical creep and arc paths are of high concern.
-Warning and caution labeling of high power components or compartments are required.
-EMI/EMC is a usually a concern
-Routing of cables becomes a big deal because of the size and bend radius of the power cables (usually 4/0).
-Because condensation (and sometimes leakage) occurs with the cold water cooling network, liquid sensors, drains, and dehumidifiers become necessary.

So there ARE people who read this forum that do power electronic packaging. What do you need to know? If you're an EE maybe you should leave it to the ME to do because he usually has more of the relevant skills to do it.

Tunalover

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back