Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Power Generation by wind turbine

Status
Not open for further replies.

turbo65

Marine/Ocean
Nov 11, 2003
PK
I m lokking to install a small wind turbine at my home on experimental basis. I m living in heavy populated city located near the open sea. Can any one help from where to start.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you are looking for a very small turbine i'd suggest you rig up a single phase isolated network supplying the power directly into water heater elements. You should obviously comply with whatever wiring regs are relevant for your own safety. The complications of paralleling to your utility supply are usually not worth the trouble.

Southwest wind power makes the small wisper series ~300W that have been allowed for installation in san diego CA.
(note, the name is a oximoron, especially when the turbine governs at ~45 knots by deforming the blades, ~ 80-120 dBA, enough to make you cat jump.

Suggestion: The first thing to prepare is a load study. Estimate how many kWs will you need for your load consumption.
Then, select companies that offer a suitable product. E.g. if you need a 20kW wind power generation: Visit
and click on:
windmills, wind turbines, wind generators
and
WTIC(Jacobs)
and
model no.
29-20/80 I
for 20kW 80 foot high tower system

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back