Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Power Perfector? Does it work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doghandler

Electrical
May 31, 2006
AU
Gents,

Currently our Environmental manager is looking at installing a unit into our buildings called "Power perfector" for energy efficiency reasons.

Apparently this unit will reduce harmonics, transients, improve power factor and phase voltage imbalances. Bascially it will reduce your energy consumption by 11-20% or so it states

I've had a read of the "techincal" document behind the unit and am still quite dubious about its benefits.

My question is has anyone used this with success? Can anyone explain how they think it will work? I dont fully understand how it works.

Below is a link to the "technical" explaination of the device. Any help or experience with this would be much apprecaiated.

Thanks guys

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

These types of units have been discussed on here before... try searching this specific forum to cut down on extraneous results.

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

I'd be deeply suspicious of it. For a start the standard European voltage is 230V and has been for a few years so why would this thing produce 220V to 'improve' efficiency? Also anything which requires constant power will draw more current as voltage drops - this applies to switchmode power supplies and to an extent to induction motors. More current increases your I[sup]2[/sup]R losses.

It looks like there is a delta winding which will act as a trap for triplen harmonic currants which would account for the altered harmonic spectrum.

The delta-star will re-distribute any voltage imbalance so it will appear voltage supplied to the load more balanced.

I suspect it will get hot, in common with most transformers. If it does, you are paying for that heat.

----------------------------------
image.php

If we learn from our mistakes I'm getting a great education!

I agree with macgyvers2000 in that this has been discussed in here before, but I couldn't find any of the threads. Most likely it's because these types of threads tend to spiral into a morass of engineers disclaiming the hype and the manufacturer's marketing people spewing more of their "pseudo-science" until it boils down to character attacks and the thread gets red-flagged (deleted).

If I recall correctly, the general consensus (among us engineers anyway) was that while there are tangible benefits, the claims of energy savings are exaggerated at best, wild-eyed optimistic marketing hype at worst. What I recall regarding the energy savings issue is that IF you have a severely unbalanced system, it will help save energy because by presenting balanced power to things like motors, they will run more efficiently. But, you can often accomplish similar results by just doing a system analysis and balancing the power yourself. These types of devices also help to mitigate harmonics, which is beneficial, but again, if you don't have a harmonics problem, what is the payoff? I'm not convinced that it will do the type of surge and spike protection they claim, but to be honest, that is not my field of expertise.

My bottom line advice is, always be skeptical of devices like this which are marketed towards non-engineers. The hyperbolic engineering documentation is usually skewed towards making lay people believe "more than the truth". They tend to sprinkle in a few truths among the hype to make it seem like it's all true, a very common modus operandi for those who are out to sell something for more than it's worth. If the price isn't too exorbitant however, it may be worth considering.

The company I work for wrote a 147 page report on voltage reduction as a power savings tool all the way from generation, transmission, distribution, and utilization. I will see if I can release it generally.

There are two similar systems that I know of in the US. One is MicroPlanet. You can read a report that they have on their web site (supposedly written by the same utility as below) at
The other is Legend Power. You can read a report that a California utility did
BCHydro is the only utility that I know of that actually gives rebates or incentives for these devices. They give $2300 per 100A capacity (doesn't say if it single phase or three phase). See
I am relatively skeptical of the actual results and industrially (as ScottyUK pointed out) the great majority of the load is constant wattage (or work). If you have a constant resistance load (resistance heater or incandescent light) then you will get less work output with a lower voltage.

Thanks guys, your replies have only made my initial reaction to this device stonger.

I agree that there are many steps that could be taken to aleviate energy problems before relying of "black box" device.

As mentioned load balancing can be done in house and generally you can adjust your incoming supply by the tappings on the transformers. I've always thought however that higher voltage was a good thing to have rather then under voltage.

Harmonics will always be reduced by any transformer so big deal.

Lastly I always been taught with electricity that wahts goes in must come out. Wether its dissapated as heat or something else it still exists.

Oh well I've made my point to those purchasing the deivce yet they still wish to put them in so I'll just sit back and watch the marketing ploys to show how wonderful this things is.

Thanks again for your help guys.

Guys I think you''ve all skimmed the OP's post a bit fast.

reduce your energy consumption by [red]11-20%[/red]

I don't care what scheme you're talking about, adding some gizmo that provides [red]11-20%[/red] savings in-and-by-itself is going to be unreasonable.

Unless it's a bank of solar panels. [infinity]

Keith Cress
Flamin Systems, Inc.-

Whether the power perfector works at main and or sub main distribution level may be one of the discussion points but perhaps more importantly how it behaves and performs under fault could be another.

Does anyone know whether they have internal protection and if so what are the settings and type.

Looking at the product it looks like it is in a strong steel box but is this to contain the product under fault?

Obtaining proper technical information from this manufacturer is strangely difficult.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back