Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

power pole spacing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike525

Civil/Environmental
May 15, 2007
US
I need to provide primary service from an end of the line pole to a new building 170 feet away. Could I do this with one pole? It is 13KV with 2/0 cable. What is the governing code for this?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The governing code is the law of gravity. The limiting factors are related to the sag of the conductors, required clearances, their ability to support their own weight along with the necessary tension required and the need to avoid breaking the dead end pole that will have to take the load.

I suspect 170 ft span is possible, but it will require some design work by someone with some experience in overhead line design.

The distance is within reason, you will need an and of line guy wire and of course you need to accomodate any hardware such as pole mounted transformers, etc..., but as DPC stated, this is best confirmed by an engineer whom can verify the line clearances, tension in the lines, pole size and configuration, etc...

The NESC governs the clearances and loads that are to be used to design the line and you need someone that understands sags and tensions under the wind and ice conditions the line will see. Your local power company may have some distribution standards that you can follow. As the wire carries current it will heat up and sag more due to thermal expansion and creep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back