Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Power Quality 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

wesles24

Electrical
Apr 13, 2015
US
Does anyone know where I can find a standard on power quality? I am looking for a good ANSI or IEEE definition. So far I can just find where they talk about how outages should be infrequent and limited, and where prompt corrective action shall be taken to get this corrected.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm not sure either of those organizations address power "quality" in general, because that's subjective, but they address components of it. ANSI C84.1 addresses power standards such as distribution voltage limits, and IEEE 519 addresses ASPECTS of power quality, such as harmonics and notching. Equipment voltage tolerance standards here in the U.S. are addressed in NEMA specifications. Reliability is addressed in SEMI F47 as it relates to the needs of the semiconductor industry, and is one of the more stringent specifications. So it's really going to depend on the context of your question.

"You measure the size of the accomplishment by the obstacles you had to overcome to reach your goals" -- Booker T. Washington

The IEEE and ANSI standards were helpful, but can anyone tell me for the ANSI Standard why a minimum voltage is listed for the 46kV, 115kV, and 230kV voltages? The maximum is listed but not a minimum.

Thanks

For a power quality standard, you might also look at IEEE Std 1159 which is aimed at monitoring PQ.

For reliability indices, IEEE Std 1366 covers the material in Desrod2's link from a Naruc presentation. It is a "how to" calculate standard for the different indices like SAIDI and SAIFI. As far as outages being infrequent and limited, I don't think you'll find a standard that deals with this aspect. That's more of a regulatory issue and can be very subjective.

For the three voltages that you've listed, ANSI lists nominal system voltages of 46, 115 and 230 kV. The circuit breaker standards for these voltages assume a +/-5% tolerance with a maximum voltage of 48.3, 121 and 242 kV respectively. You can use the -5% tolerance and get the minimums, but keep in mind that would be based mainly on circuit breakers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back