Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Power supply design

Status
Not open for further replies.

SEKEMIAT KE

Electrical
Feb 7, 2022
KE
am a newbie to power supply designs. I am working on a project that is involving the design of power supply system that will supply 85VDC. How do i select the transformer to step down the 240VAC in my house to 85VDC? I have searched all over the internet and i cannot find such a transformer.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What about the project is causing an issue? Seems pretty straightforward...

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

No. Am moving from 240 vac to 85vac then I can rectify the 85 vac to 85 vdc. But I have not found a transformer that can step down the 240 vac to 85 vac

Rectified DC voltage value depends on rectification method (full- vs half-wave). 85 Vdc output from half-wave rectifier would require roughly 265 Vac input. For full-wave rectifier, Vac needs to be about 133 to 135. A ratio of 240:135 is NOT a common off-the-shelf rating (neither is 208:135, by the way). You should be able to find something with a 240:120 ratio, which could mean adjusting your DC circuitry to accommodate an operating voltage of approximately 75 Vdc.

Converting energy to motion for more than half a century

Gr8blu; If there is a bulk capacitor involved and when isn't there? Those numbers are way off.

If you want 85Vdc you only need:

(85Vdc / 1.41) + 1.4V = AC voltage to be rectified.

That's about 62V. Call it 65V.

Better start looking for old TV transformers. They typically had at least half a dozen secondary windings. You could usually figure out a mixture that would provide about any voltage.

Keith Cress
kcress -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back