Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

PP 30%Glass filled

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaotat

Industrial
Apr 24, 2014
MY
Hey, I'm facing the problem to improve the tensile strength and flexural strength of PP 30%Glass filled. The glass fibre seems to be no effect in the PP as the tensile strength and flexural strength is low. Please suggest me any solution for this matter. Thank you very much.

ST

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Glass filled is not the same as glass reinforced. The glass needs to be coupled to the polymer. Depending on your part size you could have a look at long-fibre glass reinforced grades.

www.tynevalleyplastics.co.uk

Politicians like to panic, they need activity. It is their substitute for achievement.

Glass fiber is very effective at making PP stiffer and stronger. That's measured and products are widely available. If you are seeing no change then most likely the glass fiber was destroyed during compounding. That happens when the fiber is added at the main feed throat where the polymer is not yet molten. That grinds up the fiber until it's no longer a fiber. Instead it must be added into the melt further down the extruder. As Pud mentioned, coupling agents can also be used to improve the bonding and strength. If you're interested I have free webinars (same as the ones I sell for $500 each) on my website under the free training tab. That explains all about the effects of fillers and coupling agents.

Chris DeArmitt PhD FRSC
President

Plastic materials consultant to the Fortune 100

The fiber can also be chopped up by running the screw in the molding machine too fast. It might be worth while to get a molding guide from the resin supplier and go over it with your molder.

Rick Fischer
Principal Engineer
Argonne National Laboratory

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back