Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PPE - 29 CFR 1910.269 Hot Gloves 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimioy

Electrical
Dec 17, 2003
US
I have a question about the issuing of rubber insulating gloves: Are they to be issued to employees or are they allowed to be a "community" type of Personnel Protective Equipment (PPE). I thought at one time OSHA (29 CFR 1910.269) stated that gloves would be worn by only one person, but now I don't seem to be able to find anything on it. Personaly, I think they should be issued to personnel - I know I wouldn't trust any gloves that weren't in my possesion from the moment they had been inspected. Any help would be greatly appreciated....jimi

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The employer must assess the workplace for electrical hazards and the need for PPE under 29CFR 1910.335(a)(1)(i). Details on how to comply with this standard is up to the employer. The employer is expected to use the best means available to comply with this requirement, and that is done through consensus standard NFPA 70E. Compliance with 70E will assure compliance with this OSHA requirement. In the event of an injury or death due to an electrical accident, if OSHA determines that compliance with 70E would have prevented or lessened the injury, OSHA may cite the employer under the general duty clause. In 2003 “Standards Interpretation” letter OSHA stated 70E can be used as evidence of whether the employer acted reasonably.
Having said that I personally have not seen many employer's doing the flash hazard analysis and mandating the wearing of PPE of their employee's. Maybe eventually law suits,insurance rates will force that.
But in a somewhat longwinded answer to your question:
Proper care and use of PPE is an important part of
any electrical safety program. PPE should be
inspected before every usage. PPE should be maintained
in accordance with manufacturer’s recommendations. Improper care of PPE can cause the equipment to lose its protective properties. For example, rubber goods can lose some of their insulating properties if not properly stored and protected from corrosive materials. Rubber goods may
require periodic dielectric testing to verify the insulating capabilities. FR clothing may require special care during laundering and may need to be replaced if torn
or if fabric becomes worn after prolonged usage.

David Baird
mrbaird@hotmail.com
Sr Controls Designer
EET degree.
Journeyman Electrician.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back