Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

PR(Performance Requirement) Requirement in API 6A Product

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 23, 2022
BH
I read API6A code but i confused in PR Requirements,
Qustion-1: How we can decide which product belong to which PR ?
Qustion-2: How a Product differ from PR1 and PR2

Please Help me out to solve this problem.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You may want to refer to API 6A Annex B for which PR and PSL levels are recommended for certain applications. As a rule of thumb a majority API valve products are sold as PR2. On to your questions.

1.) The manufacturer will label which of their products are PR1, PR2 or PR2F.
2.) My understanding is the the main difference for PR 1 vs PR2 products in the amount of validation testing performed. For valves PR1 = 3 cycle validation test; PR2 = 200 cycle validation test; and PR2F = 200 cycle validation test with pressure and temperature cycling.

Thanks for your valuable replay,
we are doing hydrotest like primary test and secondary test only.
qustion-1 : Can you explain what is the validation test cycle like 3-cycle and 200-cycle.
qustion-2 : Is Spools (Adapter and spacer) required PR ?

For valves 1 test cycle is considered from full open to fully closed or fully closed to fully open under differential pressure for shut off valves. For static equipment it is generally considered from no pressure to full rated pressure for a designated hold period, and back to atmospheric pressure.

Please see section 14 of API 6A for equipment specific requirements. That being said PR2 requirements for non valve equipment have lower cycle counts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back