Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Practical structural design course

Status
Not open for further replies.

molibden

Structural
Apr 11, 2010
SI
Hi all, does anybody know of any good postgraduate courses that are useful in practical design? I would like to continue my education, but I am unable to attend masters in a foreign country because of my work and family. I looked at some online masters in UK but still not sure if it's for me. Can anybody share any experiences? Also short courses are an option. I am limited to english language and course should involve eurocodes. Thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Maybe now, but, when I first started, there were very few profs that were actively involved in general design. If you have community colleges or something of that ilk, maybe, their instructors have a good design basis. That's the situation in these environs.

Dik

It's still the same as dik indicates. That's coming from a guy that's been to both college and Uni within the last 15 years. North of the border.

90% of university profs are academic only. The few that are also practicing are generally just infill professors for one term.

The college profs I found had significant design experience, but most were out of the gig now (hence being a college prof).

The structural engineer's association of British Columbia has an excellent training program that can be accessed online. Link. It's not Eurocode of course but I think that there's plenty of value in learning code independent fundamentals. You can always just read your local code to fill in the gaps. If your local association offers something, all the better.

Are you primarily looking to obtain a credential or practical design knowledge?

I like to debate structural engineering theory -- a lot. If I challenge you on something, know that I'm doing so because I respect your opinion enough to either change it or adopt it.

So what would you recommend other than finding a mentor? Did you have any success learning from books and applying new knowledge in real projects?

P.S. I am primarily seeking practical design knowledge but if I can obtain a credential along the way even better. I have my license to design structures in my country but I want to deepen my knowledge so I will have more confidence in design situations where I have little or no experience.

Molibden:
Why not ask around about the best textbooks in any given subject, and study them in a fairly serious manor? Then save them for your ref. book shelf. Certainly, some textbooks and authors are better and more respected than many others. Why not study the textbooks you learned from, and are fairly comfortable/familiar with and understand their layout? Without a doubt, there is much in them that you could still learn and understand more deeply. Why not study more thoroughly the codes you are using for design, particularly read their commentary sections so you have a better understanding of the reasons for the code particulars? Why not check out any various design guides which go with the various codes you use? Better practical knowledge and experience often makes you a better engineer than more Uni courses, given the way they are being taught these days. What areas of a particular subject cause you difficulty in you daily work, learn them better to improve your productivity and understanding. Study other experienced engineers design calcs., plans and details; why did they do it that way? Maybe you can even question them on their reasoning. Look for a good and experienced mentor, and work with him/her; sometimes you bring the bag lunches or the beer, and offer to be helpful in return.

In retrospect, the most usefull and most frequently used knowledge that I gained was from a course in Elastic Stability which was mainly based on Timoshenko. The insight/feel obtained from that course has served me well over the years and would consider it invaluable.

molibden said:
but I want to deepen my knowledge so I will have more confidence in design situations where I have little or no experience.

This sounds good in theory, but I'm not convinced of it. You can't study everything, and the diverse range of problems structural engineers are faced with and 'expected to know' are just too great in number. Don't put structural theory on a pedestal - it doesn't deserve it. Take on the job and learn by doing when required, not by studying when it 'might be useful in the future'. If you're not confident in a design get help either within or by engaging an independent consultant to review.

Sorry that wasn't helpful. Rant over.

dik, jayrod12: It is same here in my area, that's why I am looking for an option to study by distance learning. Maybe some courses are more geared toward practice.

KootK: Thank you for the link. Looks interesting.

dhengr: You gave some good examples. Some things I am doing already. It is a must to study and understand - books, codes, other engineers work etc. Our knowledge has to expand. I just wanted to check if anybody has taken some other route or has some invaluable advice like you have provided.

SAIL3: Probably everybody has a favourite course. In my case it was a mix of theory, practical examples and an experienced proffesor/engineer.

BowlingDanish: I understand you completely. One gets lost in all the theory, books, codes etc. It is getting harder and harder to master all common construction materials and techniques. I have most experience with timber construction and I learned most on complex jobs. University teaches little timber design so it was me, books, codes and some help from collegues. But we all had too much work to do, boss was never there when you needed him, so I was mostly on my own. Needless to say mentoring was almost non-existent.
Taking other counsultants on board when needed is good advice.

@KootK

I've seen that page before but for some reason it didn't register that you could sign up and take the class over the internet - I thought it was in person.

Definitely looking into it. Thanks!

The courses are pretty expensive but they are also a good deal more than just refreshers from what I've seen. The steel class does a pretty good job bridging between beams and columns and practical building design. Personally, I'm very much a book learner. Everybody's got their own learning style. And finding the right books is hard.

I like to debate structural engineering theory -- a lot. If I challenge you on something, know that I'm doing so because I respect your opinion enough to either change it or adopt it.

molibden - For structural steel design, visit the continuing education part of the AISC website. They have archived numerous webinars and other presentations. You can view entire presentations, free. Had to pay to get PDH credit. A good place to start may be Steel Design After College.

They also have a live, ongoing program (for a fee) titled "Night School". The next series begins in January 2017: Night School 13: Design of Industrial Buildings.

[idea]
[r2d2]

Perhaps the best bang for the buck is to buy this book and work through it:
I think it's true that many universities have gravitated towards the theoretical side (and in some cases an overemphasis on mandatory environmental classes) at the expense of teaching design classes. I'd say "for better or worse" except that it's simply for worse, in my opinion.

Another possible explanation for it is that increasing code complexity has out-paced instruction, leaving those starting out feeling very unprepared.

PS: Or better yet, take the affiliated course. When the price is compared to even one university course it's a downright steal and this one will actually teach you something marketable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back