Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Practical Structural Practice Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

locksman

Civil/Environmental
May 12, 2004
US
I know this question has probably already been asked but are there any books or websites that provide practical real life structural problems (steel, concrete, etc.) other than the PE and SE prep books? My job does not provide me with a lot of opportunity for design work but I would like to find some where loads will have to be determined and then design required (Cradle to grave). I plan on purchasing several Michael Lindeburg books for PE prep. If anyone knows of any good resources please respond.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Other than SE prep problems, I don't know of any. The following, though good books are for exam prep.

246 Solved Structural Problems by C. Dale Buckner
Structural Engineering Handbook by Alan Williams

Regards,
Qshake
[pipe]
Eng-Tips Forums:Real Solutions for Real Problems Really Quick.

A friend of mine once asked about making a carport with only three supports. That is, a rectangular carport with supports at just three corners. That should give you something to work on if you're so inclined.

locksman,

You could try "Seismic and Wind Forces Structural Design Examples" by Alan Williams, published by ICC. It addresses specific sections of the IBC code but does have many solved examples of steel, concrete, wood, and masonry structural problems. Each problem is fairly focused however, and the book may not be exactly what you want as far as more complete designs.

Another interesting text is "Loads and Load Paths in Buildings, Principles of Structural Design" by Narendra Taly and also published by the ICC. Very good on structural principles and load calculations, but not much on the actual design of steel or concrete. It's a long book, 866 pages, that ties together many concepts that I have never seen all in one place before.

I'm not sure either one of these are exactly what you are looking for. It would be nice to have a resource with more complete designs, as you say "Cradle to grave", but I don't know of any. Hopefully if there are any, someone here can help out.

Good luck,
-Mike

terrific question. although can't recommend exact texts, why not review fellow senior engineers work. most of my education in practical engineering situations has resulted from delving into previous reports by others. i particularly enjoy software analysis in comparison to moment distribution of now present 70+ township engineer's work of late 1960's. having the background in current structural models with back-up hand calcs is invaluable. i would love to see a website with acutal sample designs, but until then bother those above. good hunting

Locksman:

I do also long for this type of RW examples than can be used as a reference when one is starting on the subject. While not making an advertisement the book by ICC provide with a good source of general structural design approach.

Please take a look at the following internet page

While they are listed as SE preparation texts, they show actual buildings a number of issues are analyzed.

I own the "Seismic and wind design on concrete buildings" It does skip some aspects of the analysis and design steps (the author assumes the reader know them beforehand) but the general idea is helpful when comparing to personal cases.

Hopefully it helps

Rarebug

ICBO and SEAOC published a series of Seismic Design Manuals (Volumes II and III in particular) based on the 1997 UBC and a separate set based on the 2000 IBC. These manuals present a real life situation and cover specific topics and design procedures. Complete design is not covered but important concepts and code intent are presented.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back