Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Prandtls's bearing capacity theory Vs Terzaghi's bearing capacity theory 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sro2ck

Civil/Environmental
Jan 18, 2014
Can any one tell the principle differences between Prandtls's bearing capacity theory and Terzaghi's bearing capacity theory?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Is this for school? Student posting is not allowed.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

Thank you sro2ck, I had actually never known of Prandtls theory before. Luckily a simple google search taught me that it was different from my home-boy Terzaghi's theory by the simple relationship of...wait noooo...UFO, I am not ready to be abducted...I was just about to explain the difference in soil bearing theories to this young engineer...nooooo...not the probe...anything but the probe...

Can any one tell the principle differences between Prandtls's bearing capacity theory and Terzaghi's bearing capacity theory?

Dik

Here are some links with some general remarks on Prandtl bearing capacity theory (I couldn't find anything more specific as it seems that it has more of an historical interest than anything else).

By the way, it's really impressive how some of you guys are such geniuses, so fantastically good and so above this kind of questions. It is really reassuring to know that Internet technical forums emulate reality so well.

Avscorrileia: This forum is for professional questions. If you come off as a student or ask a question no practising engineer cares about for real work, you're in for trouble including not a small amount not of mockery.

Ask a sensible professional question and these same flamers are some of your most valuable resources. Your call as to what you would like to have happen, just pay attention to the posting rules either way.

One of the things my mentors taught me a decade ago is to assume that the other guys you're dealing with professionally are competent, whatever their field is. Unless they clearly show that they're total idiots, I'm not mistreating them. The question the OP placed is valid. I never heard of it before and it made me learn some additional things when I looked it up.

This kind of treatment from people who are around here all the time and seem to own the place is getting a bit tedious, you know? And it's not the first time that this happens, especially when the OP is clearly a non-english speaker. Please take into consideration that there are some colleagues on the other side of the world that are doing way more than simple dwellings built with paper and staples, so some of the arrogance displayed around here may be a little out of place.

There. Out of the system.

Paper and staples? I'm lost... I've got buildings in Canada, New Zealand, Kenya, Australia and Vietnam... I can add a number more countries where I've done forensic or restoration works. I'm well aware that there are amazing engineers doing great things all over the world, and being a francophone I assure you I know people speak languages other than English.

I get that we're not always as understanding as we should be, but talk to me after you've had a few dozen threads deleted where you were trying to help and the OP turned out to be a student...

Please don't think that my comment was about you or your work. I apologise if it came out like that. The idea was that people outside the USA aren't building only small scale projects with no engineering value as some comments and attitudes around here seem to imply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back