Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pratical Fixed bed reactor design literature

Status
Not open for further replies.

Camarena

Chemical
Mar 5, 2003
ES
Hello All,

I have to design two fixed bed reactors one of then is liquid-solid reactor and the other is Gas-Liquid-Solid reactor both of then are upflow for liquid and gas. I would like to know literature references, webs or books (with design formulas and design examples) that could help me to carry out my work.
Thanks in advance to everybody

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Camarena:

There are two topics you are talking here:
1. Liquid-Solid & 2. Gas-Liquid-Solid
If you are designing Fixed bed, I can assume that you are doing catalytic application or adsorption. Depending on your application, design will vary. However, in general, when you are dealing with cases 1 & 2, two books immediately comes to my mind:

Three Phase Reactor (not sure about title, but widely used one)by P. A. Ramachandran & R. V Chaudhuri
Gas-Liquid Solid Reactor by Y. T. Shah

I have done some work slurry, and fixed bed 3 phase reactor.
Mostly for hydrogenation of hydrocarbon, product upgrade, BZ hydrogenation etc.

Few things you have to check in case 2: proper mixing, and partial pressure of the gas, and proper 'wetting'of solid surface. Also, calculating pressure drop might be little tricky, depending on what you would like to do. If you are implementing it in your process, we can discuss further...

thanks,

Jay

I could add: Vol B4 of the Ullmann's Encyclopedia of Industrial Chemistry titled Principles of Chemical Reaction Engineering and Plant Design, a VCH publication.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back