Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

pre-cast piles spacing

Status
Not open for further replies.

shei

Structural
May 1, 2003
PH
I'm currently doing a design for the foundation of a six storey building using pre-cast concrete square piles 0.45m x 0.45m x 18.2m long. I have searched through several references and found out that the required spacing ranges from 2 to 3 times the diagonal dimension of the pile.

I would like to know what is the maximum allowable spacing for the piles?

Thanks and best regards.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The maximum spacing depends on your loads, how you will support the loads between the major column/wall loads (are you connecting pile caps with grade beams or will the foundation include a pile-supported mat), the compression capacity of the pile, and the tension capacity of the pile, if needed for overturning or uplift.

As an addendum to my colleague Ron, I have used pile spacings in the order of 10 or more with the piles being connected by a grade beam. Why so far apart? I had 25 ft of soft clay, 10 ft of compact sand and >100 ft of soft clay. I was founding the piles in the sand and I wanted the spacing large enough so that there would be no overlap of stresses that could be transmitted as a "group" to the clay below. It worked; haven't heard "boo" from anyone for 13 years.
[cheers]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back