Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pre-Eng Metal Building 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

txdilbert

Mechanical
Apr 3, 2008
US
Guys,

Have a customer that wants to erect an 80' x 60' x 20' pre-engineered metal building on an existing 100' x 100' monolithic concrete slab to control cost. Core samples suggest the slab was poured at 12" thick(?), with no reinforcement. Unclear what type of concrete mix was used.

Since the customer is adamant about avoiding unnecessary site work, a cost engineered solution is in order. I'd definately like to hear how folks on this site might approach this project. Suggestions?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You need a geotekkie... depends on the soil and climate conditions. Pre-eng metal buildings have a little ductility and since they are basically 'throw away' structures the fates may smile on you...

Dik

Slab is 12" thick... and thrusts diminished a tad due to the height... I've done them with stiffened edges and 5" slab in the middle... overall mass would be less.

Dik

Agree with Ron. Just cut the slab and place the footings. If owner objects, point him to the yellow pages and wish him good luck in finding another engineer.

This client may be willing to skimp on his building now, but I doubt he will skimp on lawyers when something goes wrong in the end!!

I would show the client objective reasons it should not be done (unknown rebar & conc mix, frost depth issue?, unknown bearing, etc). If he still insisted, then I would professionally walk away from the job.

Good luck!

Concrete slab and foundation work is extremely cheap. If they are scrimping on that they should be working out in the open or in in their trucks. In addition, no reputable PEMB manufacturer would put their structure on an undesigned foundation. But lucky for your client, there are many disreputable PEMB suppliers.
If your client needed their appendix removed, would they try to save money by having it done in their living room? Doing favors like this for clients is what causes engineers to lose their licenses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back