Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PRE-ENGINEERED BUILDING FOUNDATION

Status
Not open for further replies.

deereman

Structural
Mar 30, 2005
US
I have a pre-engineered building foundation I am designing. There will be a turndown around the perimeter. This building has an 8" cmu full height wall in some places. In the past i have specified an individual spread footing below the turndown to support the CMU. The contractor has requested the turndown be designed with a ledge to receive the cmu instead of putting in a strip footing below. I can design the footing to support this load, but I was wandering if anyone has had any problems with a foundation like this that I may not be accounting for?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have no problem with the ledge, but, due to the dead load of the CMU, I would extend the slab to frost under the CMU to avoid frost action and heave.

Technically, the CMU wall is probably not a bearing wall, but I would treat it as such due to it's own dead load.

Mike McCann
McCann Engineering

I am not sure what you mean by a "ledge". I would just use a grade beam and be done with it. If insulated properly, the problems mentioned by Mike go away (you run rigid insulation down the outside face of the grade beam, and then extend the insulation four feet or so horizontally outward away from the building).

DaveAtkins

Like Dave said, I would seal the perimeter with grade beam and be done with it. Just make the grade beam wide enough so you don't exceed the allowable bearing pressure. I am assuming the ledge you are referring to is a standard 2"x8" dap to receive the CMU wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back