Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pre engineered steel building for garage

Status
Not open for further replies.

cristy101

Agricultural
Jun 8, 2017
SG
Hi,
I am here to ask for some suggestions. I am planning to renovate my garage because it is in a very bad condition. So when I asked my friends for suggestions, they told me that it would be best to use pre-engineered steel buildings because they are more durable and long lasting. It also saves a lot of time for construction and it is low on the budget too.
However, I want to know about its maintenance. Will I have to spend a lot on monthly maintenance and repairs? Or are there any other better options?
Looking forward to your advice on this. Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Compared to commercial buildings (traditional framing in steel, concrete, and yes many in wood) pre-manufactured buildings are not more durable.

In most high wind events, 9 times out of 10 the PMB structures are the first to go.
They are typically designed as tight to code as possible with all sorts of exposure to secondary buckling effects and progressive collapse.

That said, comparing a PMB in steel to a carpenter built wood garage, I would suggest the PEMB perhaps is in fact more durable.

If you are in cold country and drive your car into the garage with road salts dripping from your car, the metal building could have rust issues depending on how the water is managed.

(PS - I use the term pre-manufactured because all buildings are pre-engineered, right?) :)

Check out Eng-Tips Forum's Policies here:
faq731-376

If you price a metal building, they are likely to "forget" the concrete foundation and just you give you the price of the stuff they provide. So make sure you've accounted for that. It's still probably cheaper.
You'll get a building, that's all. Insulation, any upgrade on finishes, a standing seam roof, etc. all are going to cost you extra. Lastly, how is going to look in your neighborhood? If you live in a rural area, it will be just fine. But if you live in a planned community in the suburbs, it will stick out like a sore thumb.
But saying that, it's not a bad way to go (for a garage).

thIn rural areas pole barns are commonly used for garages. They are somewhat similar to metal buildings in terms of the siding and widely spaced columns. However, the columns are typically pressure treated timber and the roofs are often metal plate connected wood trusses. They are often built with or without a floor slab.

One other caution: If you anticipate adding loads to the PEMB, such as a storage deck above a vehicle, or a beam to carry a hoist for lifting engines and such, all such loads must be documented before the building is designed, because a PEMB is typically designed with NO margin for additional loads. That's part of how they keep the price down.

Else, you will have to build free-standing structures for subsequent storage and hoisting.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Good to hear all the great suggestions. Does anyone here know any manufacturers of metal buildings in China? The reason I am asking for China is that my project is close and shipping would be easier. I cost would be greatly increased if I had everything shipped from Canada or the US correct?

BC Eng said:
Does anyone here know any manufacturers of metal buildings in China?

BlueScope Buildings - who own Butler Manufacturing of North america - have engineering and manufacturing facilities in China, with a head office in Shanghai: Link

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back