Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pre-Stress on a part

Status
Not open for further replies.

harid

Automotive
May 21, 2003
US
Hello everyone,

Could anyone help me how to subject a part to prestress caused by 1000N tension force and then apply 10N cyclic loading(10N in compression and 10N in tension). The part is a hollow cylinder with side through holes. I want to model this in WORKBENCH 8.1 .Please help me out with any suggestions how to go about this. Any example code would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Harid

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Harid,

I don't have Ansys Workbench (I use Ansys 8.0). But the procedure should be the same (I hope).

1. Build and mesh your model, apply the 1000N force (Load Step 1) and finally solve it.
2. apply the cyclic force (Load Step 2) and solve it.
(Check "loads" in HELP file, this should give oyu an idea of how to specify a cyclic load)

The idea is to break your loads into Load Steps (in this case 2 Load steps)

I think that workbench can let you specify cyclic loads much easier that Ansys 8.0 (where you have to specify different load steps +F -F to simulate the cyclic loading, but on the other hand its much more powerfull than Workbench).

I hope this helps,

Good luck

EDebs

Multiple load steps in WB can be acheived by adding script loading commands in the enviroment level. You will also need to add post script commands to see the different load step results.

An example:
In the command builder make a script file that says something like -

finish
/prep7
time,1
sf,side1,pres,100
lswrite,1
time,2
sf,side1,pres,200
lswrite,2
lssolve,1,2
finish

This will apply a pressure load to surface 'side1'. In the first step this load will be 100 and in the second step this load will be 200.

-craig

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back