Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Pre vs Post Subcatchment development with partially developed and undeveloped upstream

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew Toole

Civil/Environmental
Aug 26, 2021
CA
I have a question about "best practice" for modelling an area in HydroCAD.
My situation is that I have a drainage area which runs from the top of a hill, down to and existing developed area. My development will develop only a small portion of the lower end of this subcathment.
In the past I have tried several approaches to modelling this, and am unsure which is most "correct".
I have attached a screenshot of a subcatchment. The yellow area is being developed, the orange area will remain treed.
My question is the best way to model this. I have tried making this all a single subcatchment which results in a single Tc and average land use (which is not totally true), the other option is to break it into two subcatchemnts, but where does the upper one get directed?
My real issue is that in the pre development, the Tc of the larger area gets say 10 minutes. My two smaller ones, or one combined and averaged one gets a Tc of about 5 minutes which seems overly quick? This also results in an apparent significant difference between pre and post.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Andrew

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=895fc280-a333-4f19-8e35-4e283d68b3e2&file=Screenshot_2021-08-26_102441.png
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back