Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Precast arch/circle for brick veneer

Status
Not open for further replies.

JStructsteel

Structural
Aug 22, 2002
US
Got a small precast circle supporting brick veneer. About a 6' span. Load is about 300 lbs/ft. For design sakes, I am assuming all the brick will be on the arch, no brick arching action.

They want to do 4 pieces of precast, split in the quarter locations. My analysis shows moment obviously. What are your thoughts of doing a field epoxy anchor to join them together?

BTW, I am also going to ask them to do 2 piece with a false joint, and actual joint at the 3 and 9 position. They already have some similar arches with same span, so not sure why needs to be 4 pieces.

Thoughts?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

JStructsteel said:
My analysis shows moment obviously.

It's not obvious. You have a circular arch. People have been building these as compression only structures - some without any mortar at all - for thousands of years. A uniformly loaded semi-circular or even segmental arch shouldn't need the connection you're talking about.

Here's a BIA Tech note on unreinforced, semi-circular brick arches. Might be worth a read.

PhamENG, thanks. I thought about that. I can make sure its all mortared in with the brick around the perimeter to give it that support. Im still going to do a pin of some kind at the joint I think to give it alignment and out of plane redundancy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back