Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Precast Concrete and Hollowcore Floors - Avoiding Coupling of Walls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zambino

Structural
May 27, 2014
CA
I've come across an odd condition that I can't explain, hoping someone here can enlighten me...

Around these parts, we do a lot of total precast structures (precast walls, hollowcore floors). Modelling in ETABS involves ensuring joints are properly accounted for and all walls behave independently (unless designed to act together and act compositely). My main check to ensure this behaviour is occuring properly is to look to ensure I'm not getting any tension/compresison couples forming between separate panels which indicates they are being coupled accidentally.

On my latest building, I noticed this was occuring but could not for the life of me work out how the walls were connected to transfer vertical load (see photos, green wall has seismic tension and blue walls seismic compression). The only way I could get it to stop was deleting the floors. The thing is, the floors are "one way membrane" slabs, and as far as I understood it these elements have no out of plane stiffness (they transfer load via tributary load algorithms). I'm curious how it is then that they are causing a vertical load transfer between elements...

Any wisdom would be greatly appreciated!
G

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=61e9f4ba-9b02-44d2-a471-cbf533de6ca1&file=TC_couple_question_1.png
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back