Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Precast Embed Spreadsheet or MathCad Design Sheet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brad805

Structural
Oct 26, 2010
CA
Has anyone created a good embed design sheet in Excel or Mathcad? CPCI section 4.11 or PCI section 6.5. I had a student create an excel spreadsheet a year or so ago, but it is cumbersome, and I am toying with the idea of re-creating this in mathcad. I am not a mathcad user, but am considering that option after finding a small error in an old spreadsheet not long ago. Maybe there is a better tool to use?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

On my todo list as well. I smell a collaboration effort coming on. MathCAD would be my first choice but I imagine we'd be limited to Express to keep things shareable amongst a wider audience.

I like to debate structural engineering theory -- a lot. If I challenge you on something, know that I'm doing so because I respect your opinion enough to either change it or adopt it.

I'm more of an excel guy than MathCAD. I'd love to collab on this though; I've been getting a lot of highly loaded embedded weld plates lately and need to get a spreadsheet worked up as the hand calcs are taking too long. If we could combine efforts I bet we could get a very powerful embed design tool for CPCI and PCI specs.

Ian Riley, PE, SE
Professional Engineer (ME, NH, MA) Structural Engineer (IL)
American Concrete Industries

Perhaps we could do both in tandem then and use the one to check the other.

I like to debate structural engineering theory -- a lot. If I challenge you on something, know that I'm doing so because I respect your opinion enough to either change it or adopt it.

Either works, I'd like to collaborate the effort to divide up the work but it's also always easier working with spreadsheet/mathcad files you've created yourself. Perhaps we could identify the common tasks and each setup our programs for that task and verify each against the other persons. Then we could collaborate on "advanced" features.

Whatever you think is easiest. I'm probably going to take a bit before I get working on one since I'm still slammed with work this summer.

Ian Riley, PE, SE

TME said:
and need to get a spreadsheet worked up as the hand calcs are taking too long. If we could combine efforts I bet we could get a very powerful embed design tool for CPCI and PCI specs.

Can you send me a detailed calc sheet and I'll see what I can cobble together using SMath?

Dik

Hmmm, I'm not sure if I have anything complete enough to send as most of these jobs haven't required calculation submittals. A lot of it tends to get rushed and ends up being my scribbles that only I can follow enough decipher.

Generally they're based on the PCI design handbook examples, but it sounds like you don't have a copy. I wonder if there's a copyright friendly way I can get you those examples.

Ian Riley, PE, SE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back