Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Precast hollow core plank detailing at interior non-shear walls

Status
Not open for further replies.

strucbells

Structural
Mar 25, 2020
US
Working on a simple flat roof rectangular CMU building (80' x 32') with a hollow core plank roof, SDC D, will have 2" of topping grout to create the diaphragm.

There are 2 full length interior walls at nearly the third points running perpendicular to the long direction and I would like to make these non-bearing, non-shear walls to limit the footing/slab thickening to allow room for piping. I'd like to just use the exterior walls and footings for the LFRS.

I assume we'd run the planks in the short direction (parallel to the interior walls), and align a plank joint centered over the interior wall locations. How does this joint get detailed to avoid transferring lateral load and limit vertical load transfer into the interior walls? A soft neoprene bearing pad? One of the walls needs to be sealed off for the electrical room, so there needs to be some sort of airtight filler material. Any example details?

Haven't dealt with hollow core much, appreciate any insight.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Were it not for the airtight filler requirement, I'd suggest a slip track detail as discussed here: Link

I would avoid trying land plank joints over the walls. Precast runs on rhythm and repeatability. Forcing interior joint locations like this spoils that a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back