Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Precast hollow core slab cracks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keem1408

Structural
Jul 23, 2024
SA
One year ago I bought a 2-story house that is built from precast concrete elements (walls and hollow core slabs) with a raft foundation on compacted soil.

I noticed the following;
1- After six months I found (2-3mm) width cracks on the first floor hollow core slab that can be seen from ground floor (See attached photos). Is this a structural cracks I should worry about? And how it is repaired? Note that above that area there’s a bedroom. Hollow core thickness is 25cm.

2- The horizontal joints between the internal walls started to be appear in some areas(See attached photo). Can I cover them by applying a filler mesh then repaint again?

3- There’s a crack in some exterior walls joints sealant (see attached photo). What best thing to do for them?

4- What is kind of sealant typically used for interior and exterior wall to wall joints, and wall to hollow core slab?

Appreciate your advice.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=2244c96d-2a97-4864-873e-ca1a1f80f162&file=IMG_3012.jpeg
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Not sure what type is normally used, but it should be a low modulus sealant which will stretch rather than tear out the concrete. Sikaflex 11FC would be my choice, widely available and ideal for the purpose. Paintable polyurethane. Use with backing rod.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back