Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Precast Lin Tees (Single Tee not Double Tee precast planks

Status
Not open for further replies.

trence76

Structural
Nov 12, 2008
US
I am looking at existing structural drawings for a building in Maryland and they indicate 8L36 Lin Tees. Not knowing what they were, I discovered that Lin Tees are single Tee precast concrete planks, similar to double tees today, only that they are single tees, developed by a guy with the last name "Lin", believe it or not, in 1962.

I need to evaluate the capacity of the single tee, however, the only information I have is that the stem is 8" wide, the T-flange is 8'-0" wide, and that they may have been fabricated by Baltimore Concrete Plank Company (or equal, as noted on drawings).

If anyone can help I would appreciate it. I am hoping there might be load tables out there somewhere for this.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have "Prestressed Concrete" by Edward Nawy. On page 19 and 20 he gives an example calc for an 8'-0" wide Tee with 8" stem. However, that's not going to help you unless you have more info (concrete strength, tendon stress, qty and size, concrete topping, etc...).

I would think your best bet is to load test. Not sure if there is an ICRI spec or some other organizations documentation. Basically, you fill a bladder with water to a given elevation/weight and check the deflections.

As a caution, if this is a garage without field topping, you should verify the condition of the top flange reinforcement. It may be almost gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back