Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Precision problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

dozer

Structural
Apr 9, 2001
US
Here's a fun one. I have a date routine that among other things it grabs the last two digits of the year from the GETDAT subroutine. Funny thing is when 2005 rolled around it was saying the year is 04!

I fixed the problem, but I was wondering if any of you experts know what going on in the bowels of the computer that would cause this. Here's the code snippet:

SUBROUTINE GET_DATE_TIME(DATE, TIME)
* Example of return values:
* DATE = '03/13/01'
* TIME = ' 9:18 am'
USE DFLIB
CHARACTER(8) DATE, TIME
CHARACTER(3) AMorPM
INTEGER(2) IYR, IMON, IDAY, IHR, IMIN, ISEC, IHUNDRETHS
* GET DATE
CALL GETDAT(IYR,IMON,IDAY)
TMP=IYR / 100.0
IYR = (TMP - INT(TMP)) * 100
ENCODE(8,'(I2.2,1H/,I2.2,1H/,I2.2)',DATE)IMON,IDAY,IYR

To fix it I added this to the declarations:

REAL(8) TMP

and I changed

TMP=IYR / 100.0 to TMP = dfloti(IYR) / 100.0

The clue that tipped me off was that I assigned
TMP - INT(TMP) to a variable and looked at it in the debugger. The value was 0.049999 something, something. In our perfect base 10 world it should have been 20.05 - 20 = 0.05.

Yes, I know it's a precision problem, but I want to understand it. Any takers?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You took a perfectly reasonable and PRECISE integer and turned it into a binary floating point number.

Had you left it integer and done something like MODULO(year, 100), you would have gotten the result without any error.

TTFN

I agree with IRstuff's approach as the more elegant and correct way to tackle your original problem, but getting back to your question on precision, a floating point real variable is most unlikely to store 0.05 as exactly 0.05 but will store it as say 0.050001 in which case your original routine would have returned the correct year, but as you found out it had the value of 4.99999 (when multiplied by 100) and your routine then truncated it to 4, in circumstances when the MOD function is not practical it is standard practice to add 0.5 to your floating point variable before taking the integer, i.e. INT(4.99999 + 0.5) = 5 and also INT(5.00001 + 0.5 ) = 5 so any value > 4.5 and < 5.5 would return the integer value as 5

Thanks guys. I used the MOD function and it works like a dream. I feel kinda goofy for not thinking of it. I've used it in other applications.

I still don't understand all of the inner workings that caused this in the first place. Yeah, yeah, I understand the principle, I'm just curious about exactly what's happening.

Sorry it took so long to get back. Thanks again.

There's nothing mysterious. An integer year is exactly represented in a binary format.

Division by 100, which is not an exact binary number MUST result in an approximation in binary floating point. It would not matter what precision you used, it would still be inexact.

TTFN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back