Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Precision Rectangular Tubing

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmsayles

Mechanical
Oct 16, 2019
US
I recently reverse engineered a relatively simple product and found a key component was a set of precision rectangular tubes that served as the structure for a telescoping actuator. The tubes were steel and used thin plastic bushings as the bearing surfaces between the tubes. They were nested in that the inside surface of one held the bushings that contacted the outside surface of the next tube. There was no observable play in the fit and the fit did not appear to change through the full travel length of about 1m. The tubing is thin wall and shows no signs of welding or machining. I am familiar with the drawn over mandrel process for round tubing. Is there a comparable process for rectangular tubing or how else might these tubes be fabricated? Thanks! John

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thank you EdStainless. I see the aspect ratio is limited to 1:1.16. The tubing I have is 1:1.5. Is the ratio a process limitation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back