Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Predicting H2S ppm on oil/water by knowing H2S in gas

Status
Not open for further replies.

elquesifilma

Chemical
Jun 12, 2008
US
All,

I am trying to predict the H2S content of produced water and oil at atmospheric conditions (tanks) by knowing H2S content of gas phase from my separator operating at 100 psig and 80F. This would help determine whether I need to specify NACE compliant materials.

Oil API gravity 40
SG. Water: 1.05
SG of gas 0.7 (H2S 100 ppm)

Should I assume that the oil liquid being sold contains 100 ppm of H2S, lower or higher?
Should I assume that the produced water that feeds the injection pumps is 100 ppm of H2S, lower or higher.

I understand I can get samples and analyze them, although I wanted to know if there is a close approximation or experience from someone on how to predict it.

Thanks in advance to all

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The need for restriction on materials properties for sulphide stress cracking (SSC) is determined by H2S partial pressure in the gas phase. If the tank is liquid full consult Annex C.2 of Part 2. The term 'NACE compliant material' doesn't mean anything since ISO 15156-2 also deals with several other different cracking mechanisms. So you can then look at Figure 1 to decide about SSC, but what about Clause 8 regarding HIC?

Steve Jones
Corrosion Management Consultant

All answers are personal opinions only and are in no way connected with any employer.

You need to know the pH of the solution. At a pH above 9, hydrogen sulfide dissolved in water is over 99% in the form of non-odorous hydrosulfide ion (HS), while at pH 5, only 1% is in the non-odorous form. If the pH is above 8, there is little trouble from H2S gas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back