Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Preheat on Weld 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajcousins

Mechanical
Oct 28, 2021
US
Hello, I'm being asked if preheat is required to weld 5/8" thick CS beveled lifting lugs to the top of a 6" thick SA350-LF2 CS blind flange. My thoughts are no because it's just a bevel, full-pen weld on a 5/8" thick CS plate.

Can anyone give input on this? TIA!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

@r6155, can you tell me where you got that information? ASME Section VIII Appendix R states that for P1 materials less than 1" join thickness that only a preheat of 50F is required. What is telling you to PWHT? This is for a 1/2" full pen weld.

What does "just a bevel" mean?

Follow the Code at a minimum.

Code also says use engineering judgment, and my engineering judgment says that the non-mandatory appendices for preheat give fairly light requirements that are non-conservative in some situations. Given the critical safety aspect of a lifting lug, some modest preheating would be prudent. Pay attention to moisture while you're at it.

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but they are not entitled to their own facts."

ajcousins,
Why do we preheat ?
The main reason is to slow the cooling to avoid adverse metallurgical changes.
Thicker the plate, faster the cooling.
It is not the 1/2" plate that needs the preheat - it is the 6" flange.
"just a bevel, full-pen weld on a 5/8" thick CS plate" - the Alexander L. Kielland oil rig disaster was caused by just a 6 mm (1/4") fillet.

Great post DekDee. That's why you preheat a 6" thick flange to 5/8" lug weld. Concentrate preheat on the 6" flang to prevent the quench effect from the thick flange.

DekDee said:
But it is only a small weld...

Haha, famous last words! I've heard that one more than a few times.

Tmoose said:
On our lifting lugs we also require some NDT throughout and after the welding process.

The problem is that too many folks believe NDE is a mitigation for the risk of poor welding, in a similar way they think that stress relief cancels all the sins of bad welding. Just make a better weld in the first place.

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but they are not entitled to their own facts."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back