Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pressed metal inserts in cast aluminium brackets

Status
Not open for further replies.

WelshEngineer87

Automotive
Dec 20, 2017
GB
Hi all,

Does anyone know of any cast aluminum brackets that can have an aluminium insert pressed into them with an internal thread to tighten onto a fastener. This is for an extension to the bracket that cannot be accommodated by the casting

The press force of the insert would have to be higher than the tightening torque of the fastener to prevent slippage. Does this work if the internal thread of the insert is tightened to 28Nm?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

That's about as clear as a foggy day in Aberystwyth, how about a sketch, drawing, photo of what you want.

It is a capital mistake to theorise before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts. (Sherlock Holmes - A Scandal in Bohemia.)

Try saying that after a couple of beer... I was going to suggest Helicoil, but the fox has a link.

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Feel any better?

-Dik

Dik, try saying it without any 🍻 🍻 😉

It is a capital mistake to theorise before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts. (Sherlock Holmes - A Scandal in Bohemia.)

Artisi... got me!

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Feel any better?

-Dik

2nd vote for helicoil. Mind you this means tapping the cast part, something always fraught with issues. But then I wouldn't want an interference fit insert either.

Maybe a 2 piece through insert (two pieces threaded together, clamping on the faces of the part) with an internal tapped hole.

another day in paradise, or is paradise one day closer ?

When i was still involved in the manufacture of aluminium radiators we used to either drill and tap the aluminium directly if the thread didnt have to be that strong or we drilled a larger hole and tapped it for helicoil. Helicoil makes for a pretty strong threaded connection. The only problem with helicoil is you need the equipment.

The other tricks we pulled all involved welding. Castings are notoriously bad to weld although we did get away with welding some items where people walked in off the street with all sorts of odds and ends. Usually with all sorts of warnings and disclaimers from our side.

But if you are going to do lots of aluminium work then it might pay to invest in helicoil and rivnut equipment.

If memory serves correctly we mostly used 0.5 D and 1 D helicoils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back