Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pressing af metal rod/treaded rod. formulas

Status
Not open for further replies.

ANNIS

Materials
Jan 3, 2009
DK
Hi Experts

I'm trying to determine the finish shape of a metal rod after pressing it in one end. I have to model it in solidworks before and after the process.

Total lenght of rod = 100 mm (variable < 60mm)
Required lenght of pressing treatment on the rod= 60 mm
Hight of the treatet rod afterwards = 3-4 mm

Seeking : The with of the rod after applyin pressure.
The shape of the rods end after treatment.

(see image)

I appreciate formulars or if anyone could refer to a link on the web.

The case is really that it has to be a threaded M12 rod, so if any have had this kind of issue please shear your knowledge.

There are som issues how the press is applied, as the center of the flattend rod, has to be as close to the center of the remaining rod.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Neglecting end effects, the transverse area at any section will remain unchanged.
So the pressed surfaces will be flats, and there will be a sort of transformation of the screw threads on the edges.

Note that it's not considered good practice to press a threaded rod, partly because work-hardened threaded areas can be hard on the press tool. Good practice would start with a partially threaded rod, unthreaded where you don't actually need threads. Really good practice would start with a rod of approx the thread pitch diameter, and roll the thread, or with a still smaller rod and upset the threaded area.

You have assumed a rather large deformation, e.g. a very, very thin pressed section. That may present a problem that will at least increase the price. Examine shopping carts for good examples of wire working.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Second what Mike said
also how many of these parts are been made 2 or 10000 pcs

thread the rod on one end only.
try a test piece, it will not flatten evenly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back