Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Pressure and Flow Measurement 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bif

Chemical
May 6, 2003
I have a system which conveys powder in an air stream. The air is conveyed by a fan in the middle of the system
The system goes through a number of unit stages and pipework.

I need to develop a number of system curve and understand the pressure profiles and velocity through the system on different powders and at different flowrates.

The system currently has no measurements at all.What is the best way of measuring pressure throuh the system and then how do I calculate the associated velocity.

I am comfortable to do the pressure drop calcs for the pipes, but have no real data to establish pressure drop accross cyclones and filter bags etc. The cheaper solution, the better

I have heard of pitot tubes but not too sure if this would be applicable and how they work and what calcs I would need to do.

Any suggestions?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

For low cost draft range pressure gauges consider the Dwyer Magnehelic. Draft range transmitters cost more. Flow measurement is not as easy. You may want to measure the flow upstream of the power as the pitot tubes could plug.

Consider posting in the HVAC forum if your system is similar to HVAC ducts. Also consider the measurement instrument forum.

You don't have to have a gage at every point that you need to determine a differential pressure, just a point to which to attach a gage to take the readings. You can calculate the velocity from known conditions but a pitot tube will give you the velocity profile across the duct or pipe which might be important to you since you are handling powder.

rmw

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back