Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

pressure clamping BC

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickkuuttila

Mechanical
Jul 19, 2011
US
Hello all,

I am currently modeling a manufacturing process similar to metal hydro-forming but with composites. The composite (modeled using shell elements) is held between two dies with equal fluid pressure on both faces. A male punch is traversed onto the surface of the composite.

When the composite comes into contact with the punch there should be no fluid acting on the composite where the punch has made contact. The fluid pressure on the other side of the composite should impose a force, pressing the composite against the punch. This BC is best described as a fluid pressure clamping effect. So far I have only been able to apply pressure to one side of the composite to simulate this effect. Is there a way to simulate fluid pressure on the composite so that when contact with another element is made the pressure at that element on that side will become zero?

I have been thinking about writing a user subroutine to apply this BC, but if there is a simpler way to do it I would appreciate any advise. I can include pictures if my description is unclear.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,

Nick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back