Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pressure Independent Characterized Control Valve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

3vialmadness

Mechanical
Nov 6, 2003
Does anybody have experience with this new valve?
I would like to include in a new installation, but first I would like to know some opinions, If this kind of valve is a better option? the site is
Thanks for the help

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Is a sustitute for the 3 way valve, the circuit setter and the isolation valves.
Is a two way valve, it gives a specific flow, no matters the pressure variations,
I downloaded a spanish version( yes I'm live at the south of the border)of one power point presentation based in the article "Balancing Variable Flow Hydronic Systems”, Steven T. Taylor y Jeff Stein; del ASHRAE Journal, Octuber 2002. I guess you have more oportunity to get the article
Well, what I need is to know practical experiences and installation tips about it

thanks again and sorry for my imperfect english

Do you mean an automatic balancing valve? Check out Griswold Controls for a variety of automatic and manual balancing valves. I believe they do have one valve combination that combines a shut-off, balancing valve and control valve...and strainer.

While we're talking about it, the article doesn't have any good to say about the automatic balancing valve concept. Anyone have any other experience?

No direct experience on automatic control valves, but the authors of this "reprinted" ASHRAE article didn't like them. This October 2002 article was still free as of 11/18/03 from the ASHRAE website:

Disadvantages that the autohors state include:
- small orifices in the valves which plug easily, thus requiring strainers (another maintenance item)
- Higher installed cost and operating cost due to higher head required from valves themselves as well as strainers
- The valves are more complex (read: they eventually gonna break)

There generalized conclusion was: use standard control valves and NO balancing.

The Belimo PICCV is a combination of a "characterized" control 2-way ball valve (that Belimo has been selling successfully for about 5 years) and a differential pressure regulator. Belimo has not had success with this product, yet. The beta sites have failed (I've heard). The idea is a good one and if they get the design flaws worked out, which I think they will, it may catch on. Belimo will have to get the design engineers to spec it though, because there is confusion as to who will actually buy it, the Controls Contractor or the Mechanical Contractor. The controls guys are certainly not going to pay extra for the control valve assembly, only to save the mechanical guy money. And the mechanical guy isn't going to provide control valves. I am going to wait until it's proven. Also, Griswold has similar products that have been around a while. You may want to look into their "Optimizer" at griswoldcontrols.com.

Pressure independent modulating control valves have been in the market for a while and are emerging in more and more applications. In addition to the PICCV and Optimizer, it is worth checking out the DeltaPValve. Type it into any online search engine.

Hello, at my previous job, 3-way valves were replaced with DeltaP valves on a central plant retrofit and they worked great to provide chilled water diversity since flow is not dependent on piping pressure differential.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back