Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pressure Indicator instalation 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

leomiranda

Electrical
Apr 19, 2007
BR
According standards, to install a pressure transmitter, if liquid, the process connection shall be from middle to bottom, if gas, from middle to top.
But when the instrument used is one PI (Pressure Indicator) I always see on top (90 degree) for liquid or gas. For PI, don’t I need to follow this rule?

Best regards

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

For gauge pressure measurments the recommendations do get ignored, don't they?

Here's Wika's recommendations for gauge pressure measurment installation, but I note that they omit the common 45° offset that is the most common to avoid sludge collection in liquid lines.

zkog47.jpg

jqssnm.jpg

There is a freeze factor for liquid water caught in a below-center impulse line, but is 4" (100mm) of water column that big an error on a pipe carrying 100 psi (7 bar) pressure?

For differential pressure (DP) flow measurement, it's a different situation altogether because serious errors can occur in impulse tubing given the low DPs associated with flow measurement.

For DP impulse tubing the above center line for gas, below center line for liquid and below bottom with condensate filled impulse lines for steam need to be adhered to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back