Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pressure load in NX: A fundamental question

Status
Not open for further replies.

christophersrikanth

Structural
Apr 1, 2013
GB
I have just been reading the tutorial (as well as practising doing it) concerning pressure loads in NX.

Now, if you recall the definition of pressure (
we see pressure is a scalar.

This is clear.

However, in NX if we go to load type->PRessure, in the dialog box, there is also an option of defining the components of pressure.

My question is, how can pressure ahve a unique direction?

Sorry for a very fundamental question-please note this is not a homework question but very much a question from me- working on real problems.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Chris,
I would recommend that you post this query on FEA engtips forum also for a more in depth scholarly replies but here is my take on it ... if we go by the definition of pressure as an engineering term then yes it is termed as a scalar (as you already pointed out in the link) but think over WIND LOADS that need to be considered in the design of steel structures ... i presume these are more or less sort of pressure loads only and can still be resolved in different components.Somehow in FEA i feel the pressure loads are more of a tensor.But i would wait for some expert to throw some light on it.
Best Regards
Kapil Sharma

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back