Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pressure loss in shell side of shell&tube heat exchanger with baffle plates

Status
Not open for further replies.

virk

Chemical
Oct 14, 2003
NL
Following scenario:
Shell&tube heat exchanger will be designed with f.e. pressurized water flowing on shell side. Baffles are to be installed to increase heat transfer. Now my topic: I would assume that there will be "normal" friction losses due to contact of water with wall; but also I assume there will be a considerable amount of pressure loss due to the flow regime: Water flows "horizontally" through the heat exchanger and then will be accelerated to flow through the considerable smaller passage above/beneath the baffle. After having passed the baffle water flow is deaccelerated again. This should happen at every baffle. If I for example calculate:

speed above baffle: 1,5m/s
speed horizontally: 0,5 m/s

a pressure loss due to impulse losses of about 900 Pa per baffle. This would result in 1,3 bar in a heat exchanger of 8 bundles with 18 baffles each. This rough calculation would be in a comparable range of what calculation programs give as result.

My question: 1) Are my considerations correct? 2) How do programs etc. handle this topic. I am a little bit lost here.

Eventually more to follow on request

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Shellside pressure drop and heat transfer coeff calcs are well detailed in the chapter on heat transfer equipment in Perry - this references the well known study made by Bell and Taborek.
Also see "Process Heat Transfer" by DQ Kern.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back