Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Pressure of liquid nitrogen vessel is always over maximum pressure 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

wjkang

Civil/Environmental
Jul 8, 2004
MY
I have a liquid nitrogen storage vessel.
One month ago, the pressure had have been controlled under 8 bar by safety valve. 8 bar was normal operation pressure of this vessel.
Recently, the pressure of this vessel have increased over 16 bar. 16 bar is setting pressure of safety valve on this vessel.
And nitrogen gas always release from safety valve but the pressure doesn't drop under 16 bar.
If safety valve have any leak, the pressure shoul drop under 16 bar but not.
This is Malaysia. so there is small temperature variation.
Now, I cannot understand and identify the problem.
Please advise and share your experience.

wjkang
Do you have a vacuum gauge to check the vacuum level in the annular space?
It sounds like you have lost vacuum and the Nitrogen is boiling off.

Nitrogen should boil more if there is vacuum, keeping ambient temperature constant and liquid nitrogen containers are not vacuumised.

You should check the standard evaporation rate from the manufacturer. There is no point in increasing the safety valve set pressure and this may damage the container and may lead to other accidents. The relieving rate of the safety valve at 16 bar DP may be not sufficient to vent the evaporating nitrogen.

wjkang,

Did you change from an 8 bar to a 16 bar relief valve because the 8 bar kept venting? Or was there a design change to increase the pressure of the vessel?

Do you have pressure gages you are monitoring for the 8 bar and 16 bar?

Do I understand that you are using a PSV (safety valve) to control the pressure in the vessel? If so, you really should not be doing this. You need a vent control valve and a PSV as backup set at the MAWP of the vessel or lower.

Dear wjkang Hello,
Somehow you query seems having incomplete info;
as to whether the vessel is 1)VIE(Vacuumed Insulated Evaporator) or 2)Some other type of Refrigerated storage for liquid Nitrogen!
Additionally the very concept of operating pressure control with Safety (Relief) Valve is beyond Imagination.
Also the doubling of pressure is huge value and may be questionable with respect to vessel's withstanding strength.

Best Regards
Qalander(Chem)

Thanks all,

I miss some information of operation.
This vessel is a VIE with 16 bar of MAWP and have economizer.
Nitrogen has been used for tank blanketing gas. But I have not use nitrogen for two months.
I heard that nitrogen in VIE could vaporize naturally.
Can a natural vaporization increase pressure as high?

wjkang

Vapourize naturally? Heat comes in N2 vapourize. The vapour pressure of N2 at ambient conditions in malaysia would be hundreds of bar. If you had N2 in a closed vessel with no vent or PSV sooner or later (no matter what kind of insulation you provided) it would heat to ambient - and the pressure would increase to the ambient temperature vapour pressure. At this P/T you may or may not be out of the normal phase diagram and in the supercritical phase.

Check the NIST web data book for pure components data on N2.

Your understanding of chemical subjects seems a little vauge and i would suggest you seek profeccisional help for this subject.

Best regards

Morten

I think I should apologize weeeds. He may be referring to the insulated space of the container and I overlooked the annular space thing. However, I didn't see, so far, any provision for checking vaccum in the annular space.

Morten is right on target.

wjkang:

I don't have much more to add to previous posts, but just an idea, if you are using liquid N2 for blanketing, you should consider to change for a N2 membrane production machine. Unless you are speaking about very seldom use of N2 and relatively low volumes, it will be more economical tahn teh logistics involved in liquid N2 used for blanketing.

As MortenA said, there is no way you are going to have your
liquid N2 "liquid" for so long. Your insulation is there just to minimize evaporation when the tank is not in use.
We just order N2 when we have need to use it.

Make sure the valve we call "pressure builder" is shut-off. It may be that, if you have it, it does not seal properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back