Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pressure Sensitive Paint / Film

Status
Not open for further replies.

SarahL

Mechanical
May 19, 2005
GB
I am interested in using a pressure sensitive paint or film to measure what happens to some of our products when they are placed in silos or tote bins prior to final assembly.

I have found information on PSP's which react to different light colours for use in wind tunnels. This is not appropriate for what I am trying to do, as I will not be able to guarantee good lighting of the area.

Are their any suggestions out there, or experiences of using this kind of paint / film for applicaitons other than what they were designed for?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

rhodie's post triggered a neuron.
Instead of chalk dust you could use the Developer that is used in NDT for Dye Penetrant Testing. This material can be bought in an aerosol can and sprayed on the part and when dry becomes a very brittle white coating. The part can't be handle very much but will show any undue flexing or moving that may warrant further investigation. I have sprayed it with a light coat of Krylon Clear to keep down the smudges.

I use this material not only to find a crack but after all testing and repair are over I leave a good coating of the Developer on the areas of interest where at the next inspection a cursory look will quickly tell me to get the repair crew moving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back