Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Pressure Stress Intensity, I, in WRC 107/537 Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

csk62

Mechanical
Jun 2, 2014
US

Regarding the Pressure Stress Intensity Factor I in the WRC 107/537 analysis, for the increase in stress due only to pressure at the shell/nozzle intersection discontinuity:

I think I understand the general premise of this additional factor, to compensate for the discontinuity stress in an otherwise theoretically continuous element, i.e. the geometric disruption for an increase in hoop stress in the shell. Codeware directs the user to ASME BPVC Section VIII Division 2 Section 4.5, I have even seen older versions direct the user to PVP-399 which leads the user through a trail of papers by Les Bildy, which apparently made it into Division 2. In my 2015 edition of division 2 section 4.5, there is no mention of "pressure stress intensity", although from what I can gather I would imagine that this term is probably the ratio of the maximum local membrane stress at the nozzle intersection to the nominal membrane stress. Has anyone done this calculation before? I am trying to verify this number. Also, it looks like it may not necessarily be conservative, wouldn't it be possible to have I < 1 if sufficient reinforcement area exists such that the local stress is less than the nominal membrane stress? I appreciate any insight into this matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back