Pressure Temperature Rating of Titanium Valves 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eng.Husky

Industrial
Aug 17, 2023
NL
Hello everyone,
I have received a request from a customer to design a valve according to ASME B16.34
,made of titanium (pressure class 300).

If we look at the pressure - temperature tables of ASME B16.34 we find out that titanium has not been processed.
If I look at appendix B, in which the pressure of non-mentioned materials can be calculated, then I see the following:
1. B-2.1 Method for Group 1 Materials (titanium does not belong to group 1)
2. B-2.2 Method for Groups 2 and 3 Materials (titanium does not belong to group 2 and 3)
3. B-2.3 Method for Class 150 — All Materials
Based on above, I interpret that it is only possible to calculate the pressure of titanium for class 150.

My questions:

• Am I seeing something wrong?
• Is it possible to calculate the pressure for titanium class 300?

Thank you in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Dear MJCronin,

Thank you a lot for your interaction.

That's right, "T&P Class Ratings" of the ANSI/ASME B16.5 and 16.34 standards are for specific group of materials, but appendix B in ASME B.16.34 offers the possibility to calculate the "T&P Class Ratings" for unlisted materials such as titanium.

Paragraph B-2.3 “Method for Class 150 — All Materials” shows calculation method for unlisted materials for class 150 and 300.

What I really want to know is, how some valve manufacturers have calculated the T&P rating for class 600. I don't think this is allowed under ASME B16.34.

Eng.Husky
Mechanical Engineer

Appendix B doesn’t allow that. Materials shall meet chapter 5, essentially tying you to table 1 materials.

Google on ‘site:eng-tips.com ASME flange titanium’ or similar search words. you’ll find the same conclusion; a manufacturer will be happy to make you a B16 titanium flange or valve. They even have it in stock. Doesn’t mean it’s B16 compliant.

Be aware, take care

Huub
- You never get what you expect, you only get what you inspect.

Generally, for flanged valves.
1) End flanges will be according to ASME B16.5 dimensions, rating will be whatever it is. (long standing problem with all kind of material)
2) Wall thickness will be according to ASME B16.34, they may provide an ambient pressure rating.

The valve manufacture should be able to furnish calculation/simulation upon request, but the ultimate test is the FAT. the valve should be tested to 1.5x marked pressure for shell and 1.1x marked pressure for seat.

You could run a crude BPV thickness calculation as pressure vessel, but you will find B16.34 thickness exceeds that and API 600 far exceeds that. I would always use B16.34 as the "base case" for valves.

You could always do a UG 101 burst, but i doubt anyone is willing to do that with a titanium valve.

None of these will address actual P/T chart/table, as there are not "standard" when it comes to that. They could run TAT at the temperature, but those gets very cost prohibitive to run for small production/design runs.

These starts to get into very proprietary territory.

Luke | Valve Hax |

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back