Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pressure/Vacuum Pneumatic Valve

Status
Not open for further replies.

ggeorgevt

Mechanical
Sep 16, 2003
US
I'm hoping someone can help me. I need to find a pneumatic solenoid valve that is capable of selecting between house pressure and vacuum to drive a cylinder. ie. In one state the valve is supplying house pressure to extend the cylinder; and in the other state it supplies house vacuum to retract the cylinder.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Greg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This request sounds strange to me; but, I would say that if you're just connected to 1 port on cylinder then use any 3/2 valve and your in business. Maybe there's something else here that I don't get.

I will assume you are using a pilot type valve. If this is true all you will need to do get a valve with an external pilot port and plumb "house pressure" to it. There is a minimum pressure you will need to supply for pilot pressure which will vary from valve to valve. These valves are very common and can be purchased from about anyone. Parker, MAC, Numatics, SMC and Festo to name a few.

You can also use a direct acting soleniod type valve which would probably cost more and use a lot more power.

Barry1961

Start procrastinating today!!!

You don't need a 3/2 valve with external pilot port, since you would connect pressure to the normal pressure port (1), from where supply pilot pressure is taken the normal internal way. Connect port 2 to the cylinder and the normal echaust port (3) to vacuum.
It also sounds a bit strange to me. You will never get more than 1 bar vacuum.

Jens Sorensen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back