Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pressure vessel boot sizing 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

migueldiazch

Petroleum
Mar 18, 2009
VE
Hello everyone,

Searching the internet I found the BN-EG-UE109 Guide for Vessel Sizing which stablish that the sizing of the boot diameter shall satisfy the following criteria "The boot diameter shall not be more than 0.5 times the vessel diameter", our practice stablish that for vessel diameter greater than 1500 mm the maximun boot diameter shall be 1/3xVessel diameter. Can anybody explain me the reason of this criteria in order to figure out the difference between the two criterias

Best regards,
M. D.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I am not familiar with the BN-EG-UE109 guide, but I suspect that this has to do with large opening rules of various codes.

In ASME VIII-1 for example (UG-36), the standard opening rules are valid for the following: for vessels 60in ID and less, one half the vessel diameter, but not to exceed 20in; for vessels over 60in ID, one-third the vessel diameter but not to exceed 40in.

It's not to say you can't have bigger openings, but the calculations become more complex and you have to refer to the mandatory appendices 1-7 or 1-10 for alternate rules for opening calculations.

So the guide that you mention and your practice are probably worded to avoid these types of issues at the early design stage to avoid unnecessary complexity.

Cheers,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back