Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Pressure Vessel Design Software 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

sksmechanical

Mechanical
Feb 18, 2010
US
Just starting at a company that wants to implement a design software for vessels. I have only used COMPRESS in my experience so of course I am biased towards that software. Just looking for advise on what is considered the industry preferred software to use.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

COMPRESS is a good software to use but I prefer PV Elite and also use first principles in your calculations and then use PV Elite or COMPRESS to verify your results.

Compress and PV Elite perform the same task... but you just can't beat a well written mathcad file for which you have full understanding and control. Others also use spreadsheets which they are quite happen with.

The equations as you might well know are pretty simple, but it is all in the understanding and intrepretation of the code which is the more difficult aspect. Writting your own code, will force you to actually understand a few of the concepts.

If all becomes too hard... buy the cheaper software.

I think Mathcad is great to check your work or for something simple, but definitely you have to do your research into what type of software will satisfy the needs of your company. Don't just go by what other people tell you. Their input and opinions are great but I'm sure you can go to each of the software websites or talk to their technical department and find out what is exactly what your company needs.

I wouldn't offer our Client a Vendor's calculation based on Mathcad and someone's interpretation of the code(s). How do I check it and sign it? I would however, use it for quick and efficient short calcs, in addition to the Compress or PV Elite or similar calculations. Also, mathcad is great for quotations...
Cheers,
gr2vessels

I think someone is employed by a software company... Software is fantastic for crap in, crap out. If one actually understands what they are banging into it and can understand the outputs then it is great cause you can design a vessel in 5 minutes.
But like ALL proprietary software, you are restricted to what they have encoded and once you have a design outside the limits of the software... then what? (Open the cheque book$)

I suppose having to update and check the Mathcad and spreadsheets code calculations every time, every year, for every job is not a problem.

I am (experienced) 'pressure vessel' mechanical engineer, user of design softwares and seen them, all kinds and many of them packed to the ceiling with promises of accuracy. What I have not seen, any of those crapy little spreadsheets endorsed by any serious insurance or certifying agency. They don't even bother to waste time checking them for accuracy, knowing that next day the spreadsheet can be bent to suit any incorrect design.
They do however, endorse the known softwares, including their shorcomings. That's good enough for me.
I am using my own little spreadsheets for quick calcs, but I won't embarass myself showing them to a Client.
Cheers,
gr2vessels

"I am using my own little spreadsheets for quick calcs, but I won't embarass myself showing them to a Client"

Why, are they not correct? Our spreadsheets are pretty much the same as the code in the commercial software. If you go through the output of say CodeCalc, it is all the same stuff really.

We still use software for nozzle loading, tube sheets, etc, and include a combination of spreadsheets and software outputs in reports.

Whatever software you use, even if it's costly finite element programs, it's always wise to check the answers or at least assure yourself that the answers look reasonable based upon your past experience.

ex-corus (semi-detached)

Thanks for the advice and information guys (and ladies if present). The companies I have worked for in the past had COMPRESS for the vessel design software. Over the years I have developed my own spreadsheets and use the software to double-check as well as to be knowledgeable myself instead of depending on the computer to be my brain. But now I am being asked to check out a few softwares and do a pros/cons type of deal and present my opinion. But of course having only worked with COMPRESS I am a little biased towards them due to the fact that I know how it works.....just wanted to pick a few brains of guys who may be more "seasoned" than myself. I'll be sure to come back for any more clarification/help/advice when I need it. Thanks.

sksmechanical (Mechanical)

HAVE YOU DONE THE FOLLOWING:

Software Quality Assurance

1. The SUPPPPLIER shall ensure that computer software, when used or developed in conjunction with PO, performs its intended specific functions in relation to the delivery of the items. Work processes involving such software must be developed and implemented using national or international consensus standards, such as IEEE Std 730, that provide an adequate level of quality assurance.

2. Software quality assurance (SQA) includes activities such as:

• Software project management and quality planning;
• Software risk management;
• Software configuration control;
• Software procurement and supplier management;
• Software requirements identification and management;
• Software design and implementation;
• Software safety;
• Software verification and validation;
• Software problem reporting and corrective action; and
• Training of personnel in the design, development, use, and evaluation of software.

3. The SUPPPLIES shall establish and implement a SQA procedure for defining and controlling SQA activities relevant to the PO.

4. The SUPPPLIES shall submit the SQA procedure to the BUYER for review and acceptance prior to PO implementation.

BEEN THEIR DID THAT
Leonard Stephen Thill

I use APV for about 5 years now and I like it. It is cost effective and user friendly. However, every release has some bugs in it and small editorial type errors that you need to keep an eye out for. For what it is worth APV is a decent program. I couple it with NozzlePro and MathCad to clear up the grey areas. Updates can be a bit difficult with APV as well.

I prefer spreadsheets as they are more customisable. Once upon a time we did manual calcs so if you are a true professional then you will put in the extra time to make sure they are correct.

Using comercial software you can quickly become a lazy number cruncher that doesn't fully understand the design technique you are using.

Compress is the most user friendly although PVElite cover more of ASME and covers PD 5500.

I've been putting together a spreadsheet for design of some fairly simple vessels. But even that design very quickly gets very complicated before it is done.

I've really not seen a good solution. Plugging numbers into a program and saying "I guess it's right, or they wouldn't have sold it to me" doesn't seem to be the ideal solution. Checking something like that gets very involved, and is actually more involved when you're checking someone else's work than on your own.

Note that in addition to the code calcs, you have wind, seismic, saddle design, local nozzle loads, etc., and those items are not codified to the extent you might expect, and allow for a lot of variation in the design.

There are similar issues with tank design software, and from past experience, I have found that it can be out-of-date, wrong, limited in unforeseen ways, etc. Maybe the PV field is better in that respect.

If you are a job shop or custom contractor, it is very hard to beat the databases of material, instant checking of impact test exemptions, etc., that good commercial software have. We seem to have some engineering egos here who don't want to admit it. Also for vacuum tanks, heat exchangers, etc. the amount of time to calculate for quoting purposes is usually too long for custom work. If, on the other hand, you have a product line that is pretty stable and you don't change or make custom vessels, you can get by just fine without commercial software.

The guy just wanted to know what is good software, not a hyped-up philosophical debate on whether or not to use it, and implications that "real men don't need software." Please.

Yes material data bases is good but we also have these in spreadsheets and the codes so I wouldn't buy a program just for it. They are good for tube sheet calculations though and nozzle loading but I prefer the spread sheets for the rest. We also mainly design to AS1210 so most programs are not fully compliant. Spreadsheets are also more flexible for custom jobs. It is good to try an develop some first to fully understand all the checks involved and the limitation of the code.

I can't comment on other software but CodeCalc (PVE) is good, a few bugs but overall say 7-8/10.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back