Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pressure Vessel inspection program

Status
Not open for further replies.

MedicineEng

Industrial
Jun 30, 2003
HK
Hi All:

In our property we have a few compressed air and potable hot water tanks.
These tanks are not big (6000Lts) and have a low working pressure (up to 6 bars for the water and 10 bars for the compressed air).
Here there is no mandatory legal routine inspection for these tanks but bar the initial installation and major repairs, so I was looking for some guidelines of what is common industry practice in order to be on the safe side.

Can anybody point me in the right direction?

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

i'd've thought that these were designed to "leak before burst" so routine visual inspection should be sufficient.

another day in paradise, or is paradise one day closer ?

MedicineEng, have you consulted the occupational / industrial safety authority for your jurisdiction? They / It may have mandates.

Regards,

Mike

The problem with sloppy work is that the supply FAR EXCEEDS the demand

I agree with SnTMan ... there could be local requirements, but there should be something in the code that the pressure vessels were designed to. Even the air tank can be maintained with regular visual inspection (if designed to leak before burst) ... some leakage would be evident to detailed inspection, or maybe 'cause the tank doesn't hold pressure well ... maybe some maintenance like "a leak rate in excess of x is cause to take the vessel offline and detail (NDI?) inspection required".

Well, I just re-read the OP.

MedicineEng said:
Here there is no mandatory legal routine inspection for these tanks...

If this is known to be true then you will have to devise your own inspections. Possibly your insurer (if any) could provide guidance or you might consult the National Board of Boiler and Pressure Vessel Inspectors.

More info at ASME also.

Regards,

Mike

The problem with sloppy work is that the supply FAR EXCEEDS the demand

Assuming you are in Missouri:
I see exemptions for PV under 200psi.
Normally inspection is required every 2 years for the state (external Visual).
There won't be anything in the construction code as ASME Sec. VIII is for new construction only. NBIC Part II, API 579, API 510 will have inspection.
Not sure about the designed to "leak before burst" statement....While normally they will leak rather than burst...they are designed to not leak and not burst....unless there are tell-tale holes.

Thank you all for your feedback.

Yes, there is no mandatory requirement around here. The applicable law is only for new installations and major repairs and it is from the early 70's...

I think if I devise an inspection program including:
-Visual inspection for internal corrosion and welds' integrity
-Calibration of safety valves.

Should be good enough.

Any other hints?

Thanks.

how would you know if it was leaking ? Do you record pressure ? Can you see if the pump is cycling unusually ??

Since there is no mandatory inspection requirement, there is nothing to prevent you from having the air tanks be internally inspected by an outside consultant knowledgeable in the practice of internal inspection of air receivers.

MedicineEng said:
Any other hints?

Inspect for:

-External corrosion under paint
-Physical damage in a non-weld area (forklift/car puts a big dent in it)
-Unauthorized repairs
-Evidence that safety valves have actuated
-Proper application of safety labeling
-No water treatment chemicals (chlorine) stored near tanks.

Just some thoughts.

Engineering is not the science behind building. It is the science behind not building.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back